Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Earthquake Bags

So I realized as a listened to the presenter across the hall during an expo in April that I was lacking in one small area that could have a major effect on the safe and quick exit of my family in an earthquake. I also realized why my son has been insisting on bringing his shoes into his room and putting them under the bed (a habit I detest since we live in the rainy NW and they get lost among the other items he shoves under his bed).

multiple occupants per a room
single occupant per a room
In the book We Shake in a Quake, the family puts a flashlight and a pair of sturdy shoes under their bed so that when the next earthquake hits they are prepared. Aah Haaa! flashlights double as light sabers at my house so I've been hesitant to put them in my kids rooms, because I don't like going through batteries like water, but I realized Lliam has been trying to send me a message. So we went to the dollar store and purchased some cheap flashlights. I never use my reusable grocery sacks for their intended purchase (I'd have a cart full before I even got my groceries if I did). So they made the perfect bag. A friend had just given us a few boxes of shoes so it was easy to find a pair for each of the kids (that was just a size of 2 two big). It wouldn't be a bad idea to add a jacket or raincoat either.
store the bag under the bed
We put the bags under their beds and I explained to the kids that these were only for an emergency. And if they played with the flashlights they would be left in the dark when they needed them. So far it hasn't been an issue (minus the 3 year old - go figure).
That night Lliam insisted on sleeping under his bed with his bag. We had a hilarious conversation as I tried to convince him to sleep in his bed. He expressed his concern that if an earthquake hit he wouldn't be able to get out of his bed fast enough. I explained that I'm sure he'd be fine. Naturally he didn't believe me.
feeling safe close to his bag (green)
"Don't you think that Heavenly Father would help you get under your bed especially since you've taking the effort to be prepared?"
"Yes"
"So you'll sleep in your bed tonight?"
"No"
"How long are you planning on sleeping here?"
"Until there's an earthquake"
We compromised - if there wasn't an earthquake that night he would return to his bed.
I'm happy to say he's back in his bed (or mine).

I love my children! Now I just need to one for my room.

No comments:

Post a Comment